Office of the State's Attorney for Baltimore City

For Immediate Release 6/26/2017

Southeast Baltimore - After three days of trial, Major Investigations Unit (MIU) Assistant State’s Attorney Rich Gibson obtained a guilty verdict in State v. Anthony Johnson.

Johnson, a South Eastern District violent repeat offender and high priority suspect, was charged with first degree assault; first degree sexual assault; and other related assault and firearms charges.

The facts at trial revealed that on or about June 27, 2016, at approximately 5:00 p.m., detectives from the Baltimore Police Department (BPD) Sex Offense Unit were contacted, in relation to an attack on a 16 year old victim.  

Detectives were advised that at approximately 3:30 p.m., the victim was walking from Walgreens drug store and took a short cut through an alley near the rear of Hartford Heights Elementary School located in the 1900 block of North Broadway Street. While at that location, an unknown male, in his 20’s, with a brown complexion, close cut hair on his head and a goatee approached her. 

The victim stated that the man—later identified as Johnson— pulled out a gun and told her to be quiet. Johnson then asked if the victim had any money. The victim indicated that she only had “5 cents.” The attacker then said “do you want to die?” The victim replied “no.”  

Johnson then said “Do you want to have sex with me? You do if you don’t want to die.”  The young woman was then sexually assaulted at gunpoint. Once the attack was over the victim ran away and contacted the police.

The victim was taken to Mercy Medical Center where a sexual assault forensic examination was conducted.The exam led to the recovery of DNA from the attacker. The DNA was analyzed-- which led to a criminal DNA database match to Johnson. 

"I commend the young woman in this case that displayed exemplary courage for taking on her attacker in open court. And she—along with our law enforcement partners—were able to take down yet another repeat offender known to have a propensity for violence.” State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby said.

Johnson was previously convicted of disqualifying crimes, including a possession with intent to distribute case and a May 2015 conviction for first degree assault– both of which prohibit him from ever possessing a handgun.

Johnson was found guilty of each count in the indictment. He is facing Life plus an additional 50 years at sentencing. 

Sentencing is scheduled for August 15, 2017.