The Office of the State’s Attorney for Baltimore City is seeking a full-time Assistant State’s Attorney for the Charging Division at Central Booking. This position requires a 12 hour rotational shift schedule which includes week days, week nights, weekends and holidays. The rotation shift schedule requires an ASA to work two days from 2 pm to 2 am, with the next three days off.
- Review probable cause statements and statements of charges submitted by police officers in warrant-less arrest cases;
- Decide whether to charge cases. If charged, edit, upgrade, downgrade or add to charges submitted by police officers as appropriate. If not charged, process the paperwork and notify the booking facility and police department;
- Make bail recommendations in certain cases;
- Work with the police liaison officers and correctional officers in charging and processing casework;
- Work with and supervise OSA paralegals in case movement and handling paperwork;
- Communicate with police and police liaisons to obtain supplements to statements of probable cause;
- Review witness lists;
- Respond to inquiries from police officers and paralegals;
- Facilitate the movement of cases;
- Determine if a juvenile will be charged as an adult and engineer the movement of the case in the proper jurisdiction;
- Direct paralegals in notification and referrals of witness intimidation cases and human trafficking cases;
- Communicate with the Division Chief where issues of office policy arise and where problems occur;
- Any and all additional duties and work hours that are deemed appropriate and necessary by the Division Chief.
- Graduate from an accredited law school and licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland;
- The ability to prioritize work and multi-task;
- The ability to work effectively overnight;
- The ability to work independently and as a team member;
- Adept in Constitutional Law and Criminal Law and Procedure;
- Because the job site is located at a secure facility, the successful candidate must be willing to submit to a TSA type search and frisk with each entry of the building;
- The successful candidate is considered Essential Personnel and must be available to work during snow and other city and state emergencies;
- The successful candidate must submit to and pass a criminal background check and a drug test as a condition of hire.
- Prior experience prosecuting or defending offenders in jury trials;
- The ability to research the law on the computer.
- Salary commensurate with experience beginning at $67,281.00
- Parking spot provided
Interested candidates should email resumes to Resume (firstname.lastname@example.org) with a subject reference of Charging ASA by the close of business December 20th, 2017. In the body of your transmittal email, please also indicate Charging ASA as the position for which you are applying.
THE OFFICE OF THE STATE’S ATTORNEY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER