The State’s Attorney’s Office for Baltimore City seeks candidates for the position of Bilingual Advocate for the Family Bereavement Center. This hire will be responsible for the following duties:
- Advocacy duties for the survivors of homicide victims with a focus on Limited English Proficiency (LEP) Spanish-speaking homicide victim survivors, including, but not limited to:
- Obtaining information from law enforcement partners
- Preparing and mailing outreach and trial date letters to homicide victim survivors
- Documenting information and outreach efforts on an ongoing basis
- Meeting with homicide victim survivors in a supportive role
- Assisting with intake for the Family Bereavement Center
- Accompany homicide victim survivors to all court appearances
- Assist homicide victim survivors with Victim Impact Statements
- Maintain monthly report of all homicide victim survivors assisted for statistical purposes
- Attend community events and memorials
- Educate the Hispanic and Latino communities about the services provided by the Family Bereavement Center and the State’s Attorney’s Office
- Assist in the development and facilitation of a support group for Spanish-speaking homicide victim survivors
Qualified candidates will possess the following skills and qualities:
- Fluency in English and Spanish
- Knowledge of Hispanic and Latino culture and heritage
- Knowledge of the criminal justice system
- Knowledge of law enforcement and public safety agencies
- Knowledge of community resources and functions
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with community members, law enforcement professionals, courtroom staff, and members of the public
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Ability to document information and maintain accurate records
Education and experience requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree with a major and/or minor in social work, criminal justice, or community engagement from accredited college/university; pending or awarded master’s degree or certification in counseling is preferred
Salary is $44,858 - $54,520. This position is a contract position with benefits. Funding for this position is subject to renewal on a yearly basis.
Interested persons should email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Consideration of resumes will begin immediately and closes on Friday, June 30, 2017. Please use “FBC Bilingual Advocate” as the subject reference of your email. Documents must be in pdf or Word format.
Applicants who submitted applications for prior positions must submit a new application for these positions. All positions with the Office of the State’s Attorney are at-will positions with no civil service protection.
THE OFFICE OF THE STATE’S ATTORNEY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.